Monday, November 28, 2011

treasures in heaven ... or the basement

"Mom, I count 14 chairs down here."

Somehow, I'd hoped my son David could wave a magic wand and turn our basement into a clear, tidy space. All I ask is the ping pong table be set up and ready for Christmas family fun!

There comes a time - is it universal among empty-nesters? - that the seams of a house nearly burst from years of a family's accumulation. We've lived in this house for 22 years. Raised four kids. And even though I instituted a policy of "you move, your stuff moves too," there is a LOT of stuff, especially in the basement, which, by the way, I've grown to despise with each passing year. It's a catch-all for our junk-all.

What happens is this. We buy a new kitchen table and chairs. The old set goes to the basement JUST IN CASE one of the kids can use it. We move Bill's mom to assisted living. Her photo albums and "cool vintage stuff" (according to our daughter) go to our basement. The desks no longer used end up in the basement. The famous PINEAPPLE COUCH we bought in 1985 must stay, "for watching TV." And the 30 years of photos have made their home there, too.

Sometime between potty training and college graduations, it became an out-of-control, borderline-hoarding mess! "You need to have a yard sale," David advises.

"We have them - every year," I answer.

The older I get, the more I want to be rid of so much stuff, to simplify. There are some things I want to keep. But old yearbooks? Kids' books, toys, camping equipment, and Easter baskets? A pile of National Geographics, LP records from the 70's and four extra sewing machines? I certainly don't need it all; perhaps someone else does.

Jesus said, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21.

I wonder, the tighter we hold to the things in our lives, do we have less room in our hands and hearts for the things that matter to God?

We probably need to move.

gratitude challenge day 27 - I'm thankful for a place to call home, really I am!

3 comments:

Karen Dawkins said...

MOVE>>>>> MOVE>>>>>> MOVE>>>>>>> A nice place southeast of Raleigh would be perfect! :)

Those LPs are probably valuable and might help send some kid on a mission trip or something.

Barb said...

David is considering them ...

If we ever do move, I imagine it'll be right around here!

Unknown said...

I share your dismay at owning too much "stuff"...all of which I am grateful for. I've made myself a promise that, if I ever get this house cleaned up, I'm selling it.....sigh.