Thursday, March 4, 2010

Lie Lady Lie

I accidentally, providentially just stumbled across the fact that today, March 4, is National Grammar Day. This gives me acceptable reason to remind readers of the correct use of LAY and LIE. Oh, my poor family endures my incessant reminders. If they'd just get it right, the reminders would cease. (Or, as I heard on an ad the other night, a woman says, "I don't want to control my husband, I just want him to do what I say!")

Incorrect use of these two tiny words permeates everyday conversation, television, the internet, even newspaper and magazine writing. Unbelievable.

So, class, here we go. Part of this lesson is borrowed from the NGD website.

If you exclude the meaning "to tell an untruth" and just focus on the setting/reclining meaning of lay and lie, then the important distinction is that lay requires a direct object and lie does not. So you lie down on the sofa (no direct object), but you lay the book down on the table (the book is the direct object).

This is in the present tense, where you are talking about doing something now: you lie down on the sofa, and you lay down a book.

Eric Clapton's song Lay Down Sally can actually help you remember the difference between lay and lie ... because he's wrong.

To say “lay down Sally” would imply that someone should grab Sally and lay her down. If he wanted Sally to rest in his arms on her own, the correct line would be “lie down Sally.”

We don't have to judge Clapton on his grammar; we can still love his music and at the same time know that it's grammatically incorrect! In fact, that helps us remember, and we can love him more.

If you're more of a Bob Dylan fan, you can remember that "Lay Lady Lay" is also wrong. The lyrics should be “Lie lady lie, lie across my big brass bed.”

OK, so that was the present tense. It's pretty easy; you lay something down, people lie down by themselves, and Eric and Bob can help us remember.

From Englishplus.com comes this simple clarification of the whole mess.

Lay means "to place something down." It is something you do to something else. It is a transitive verb.

Incorrect: Lie the book on the table.
Correct: Lay the book on the table.
(It is being done to something else.)

Lie means "to recline" or "be placed." It does not act on anything or anyone else. It is an intransitive verb.

Incorrect: Lay down on the couch.
Correct: Lie down on the couch.
(It is not being done to anything else.)

The reason lay and lie are confusing is their past tenses.

The past tense of lay is laid.
The past tense of lie is lay.
Incorrect: I lay it down here yesterday.
Correct: I laid it down here yesterday.
(It is being done to something else.)

Incorrect: Last night I laid awake in bed.
Correct: Last night I lay awake in bed.
(It is not being done to anything else.)

To sum it up, just remember this. In our house, two common phrases are:
1. I think I'll LIE down for awhile: I'm tired.
And
2. "LIE down!" as a command to our dog.

Please, let's at least pass good grammar on to our dogs by telling them to lie down, not lay down!

Class dismissed.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheers to you. Whenever I hear someone (family member) tell the dog, "Lay down," and it doesn't, it makes me smile. I get to say, "She's not listening because your grammar is incorrect. Say, "Lie down.'"

-d

Barb said...

hahahahaaaa smart dogs!

Lori said...

Can you clarify 'affect' and 'effect' next, please? :-)

Barb said...

Most of the time 'affect' with an a is a verb and 'effect' with an e is a noun.

Or go to more info and a clever illustration using an aardvark!

And Lori, I do think you were pulling my leg...

Barb said...

sorry...the site is
http://nationalgrammarday.com/

karen Dawkins said...

Thanks!

On "national learn to pronounce it properly day" would you explain the difference between "ask" and "axe"?

Anonymous said...

you're lying....

Jenny Haller said...

I wish people would pronounce especially and espresso WITHOUT the "X"!

Anonymous said...

Most definately correct. However, we can't simply reduce artistic pieces such as Lay Lady Lay down to technical correctness. My friend is the same way, and his nit-picking usually borders on annoying.

Dave Haller said...

Funny post...next year I'd like to see one for ending sentences in a preposition. And using "myself" instead of "me"...

Dave Haller said...

Dear Anonymous,

I know this is a post on grammar, not spelling--but there is no "a" in "definitely."

Anonymous said...

If I left a post about how grammar and spelling was the most important thing in the world. I'd feel like a huge tool right now for misspelling a word. I'm pretty sure my post was saying to lighten up on the casual misuse of grammar. Nit picking is just annoying.

Unknown said...

And the past perfect simple tense of lay is lain (Ex: He had lain down the book)! I learned that in 7th grade and haven't forgotten it. And I agree about ending sentences with a preposition. It drives me crazy. You should also do a post about the chronic under-usage of adverbs. And one last thing: is anyone else greatly distressed by typos in a book?

Barb said...

Wow! Thanks for reading, thanks for commenting, thanks for being annoyed. Grammar and spelling hounds - or not!

Anonymous said...

HaHa! no problem. Just for the record you're right with the grammar. I just think that using two songs is not the best support for your argument. Songwriters twist words, misspell words, and make words up all the time. the grammar is the least important aspect of the song. Anyway, Thanks for writing!!

Dave Haller said...

I was only teasing and being ironic...and Lay Lady Lay is a great song.

RNDmom said...

Dylan and Clapton might have had another, cruder meaning to convey using lay(laid) instead of lie. If you don't want to go there--then lay will work for most people who think lay is correct or interchangeable with lie. Just a thought...Dylan especially seems to have endless ways of hearing a song.

Barb said...

Points taken. I can't claim originality with the Dylan and Clapton songs; I just thought it clever when I stumbled upon the National Grammar Day site. And perhaps it will serve to help people remember the correct use of 'lay' and 'lie.'

Thanks, everyone.

RNDmom said...

"Your" welcome, ha ha!

Barb said...

RNDmom - good one! Another glaring problem ... misplaced apostrophes. Shall we discuss its and it's??? arghhh!

Karen Dawkins said...

Misplaced apostrophes, It's "Hi y'all" NOT "Hi ya'll"
Perhaps my biggest pet peeve! And I live in the south!!!! YIKES!

David, conventional grammar now accepts prepositions at the end of sentences. Who will you complain to? Ha! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm getting tired reading these posts. I just want to red-pen them! My mind only sees the misspellings, grammatical errors, and mechanical errors in punctuation. I'll just close my mouth, put down my pen, and read.
d.

Anonymous said...

Since a good many educated Catholics, including nuns and priests, misuse lie/lay, I've been wondering what a grammar book in Ireland would say on the subject.
Does anyone know?