Friday, November 11, 2011

my favorite veteran


This is embarrassing, but I only recently learned exactly what my dad did while serving in the Army during World War II. I asked him a few weeks ago over the phone.

Since Dad graduated from high school in 1943, the war was winding down. Due to a minor heart issue, he was kept stateside, assigned to a base in Kansas and trained as a draftsman. He has a natural artistic ability anyway, so it seemed a good fit for him.

So I don't have any dramatic war stories from my dad, but he is an example of a man who willingly served his country when asked. As a teenager during the Vietnam War, I remember asking my mom about the attitudes of young men during World War II. She said, "They considered it their duty and honor to serve and it was an embarrassment if they didn't or couldn't." That was the mindset in that war.

And I can't not mention 11.11.11. We had these dates when I was growing up, but I don't remember! I know of a little girl born on 8.8.88. But once the 21st century arrived, I seemed to notice more. Once 12.12.12 passes, things will settle down, huh? 11.11.11. Pretty crazy.

Hey, I just realized. My birthday in 2013 will be 1.3.13!

gratitude challenge day 11 - How thankful I am for the veterans of this country. It's easy to forget that the freedom to worship, choose a job and place to live, where to be educated, and to be a part of a democracy are foreign to some people on this planet. Most of our veterans deliberately chose to protect and defend my freedoms. Thank you, God, for their decisions to serve.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember on 6/6/66 my elementary school teacher brought it to our attention saying this will not happen again for a long time! I think we did have these kinds of dates. Our free time was spent outside playing in the fresh air and sunshine, or playing board games, though, not at the computer reading a lot of dates and facts. ha ha.

Barb said...

Good memory, Jill! I don't remember 6.6.66! Very true ... we WERE outside, building forts, riding bikes or sledding. Who cared about silly dates?