Friday, November 4, 2011

camp!


My good friend Patti emailed this photo yesterday and the memories came flooding back. It was summer 1979 at Girl Scout Camp Welaka in Jupiter, Florida. Patti (front and center) was camp director and I (right of Patti) served as her assistant. I think I have that right! We were both 24 and my mother had just died in May. I doubt I was totally focused on camp that summer.

It was my second summer at the camp ... I remember the sandy trails to the units, palmetto trees, mosquito nets draped over our cots, the extreme heat and midnight beach trips to watch the nesting sea turtles. And the squealing, giggling, energetic girls. I loved camp and spent six summers working at Girl Scout camps. 1979 would be my last.

Those were summers of discovering my strengths and weaknesses, forging friendships, and learning a lot about children and myself. Without a doubt, working at camp helped prepare me for motherhood.

Gratitude challenge day 4 - How grateful I am for friends like Patti, who befriended me so many years ago, taught me much, and took time to send this photo!

4 comments:

Karen Dawkins said...

I am grateful that you took what Patti poured in to you and passed it on to me... and countless others, I am sure!

Barb said...

Karen ... Patti was always skilled at what she did, very hard-working and organized. But fun-loving, too. I tried to learn from her! She's still a dear friend. Thank you, Patti!

Dan said...

Cool post, and picture!

Anonymous said...

who wears short shorts ?