Tuesday, November 29, 2011

love is

Men approach shopping differently than us women. If you are married, you get my drift. Men are hunters. They run in the store - or mall if you're lucky - find their prey, bag it, and go home.

Women are gatherers. They wander from store to store, considering carefully, comparing their options and enjoying the journey. And all the better if there's another woman along.

Oh, I'm sure there are exceptions to my generalization. I think maybe my dad is a gatherer of sorts. But usually, I find men have little patience with puttering in stores.

Take today for example. I had a specific list of gift items to find on our trip to Kohl's. We went our separate ways. After leaving the kitchen doo-dad area, (during which I took a phone call) I headed for the baby section. But on the way, I saw a display of women's slippers. My slippers are nearly worn out, so I thought, "oh! I'll grab some slippers for Bill to give me for Christmas!" Of course I had to try them on, and right then my phone rang. Bill was finished, waiting up front.

Geez, I'd hardly gotten started! So different, we are.

But all turned out well. I ended up spending less time and less money. Bill would have sat there the rest of the day, patiently waiting for me. That's how he is. That's how love is.

gratitude challenge, day 28 - God created men and women to be different,
to complete each other. I'm grateful for that!
day 29 - I'm so grateful for a patient, loving, easy-going husband! You're the best, honey!

2 comments:

Kathy B said...

Barb,
I have said it before and I will say it again. When I grow up, I want to be just like you! I so enjoy your blog. You always lift me up. On a side note, I was wondering if there is such a thing as a bad photograph of Barb Haller.

Barb said...

Thank you, Kathy. I'm just another struggling middle-ager with bad days, too. YES, there are bad photos of me. But do you think I'd post them??? ha ha!