Monday, November 14, 2011

different drummer

There are those who will call you a recluse -
but it is better to listen to your own different drummer
than to go through life with a ringing in your ears.
- William Safire

It's almost 11:30 p.m. and I'm yawning as I type.
I very nearly skipped today's post. Distressing!
My goal is every day in November. 
I just opened emails from two friends who said, "I love reading your blog!"
(Thank you, Kelsie and Kathleen.) 
We writers can be a pitiful lot. It isn't a matter of liking to write, or dabbling at writing.
Rather it is, for me at least, that we must write. Even when the hour is late and the eyes droop.
If there is a thought to express, it is akin to a caged animal and absolutely must get out. 
Writing is also like an old rusty pump. Once primed, the words flow with less and less resistance.
It would be a lot easier not to write, but writers must write.
When doubt creeps in and I begin to wonder what - and why - in the world I'm doing,
spending time pecking out little blog posts for a handful of people to read,
God prompts a friend to say, "thank you! I like your stuff."
And it spurs a weary writer on for another day.

gratitude challenge day 14 - Readers of my writing and words of encouragement:
for these I am thankful! 
  

No comments: