Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Haller-ween!

OK, this greeting is not original. I give credit to Jill, my future daughter-in-love. Clever!

For the first time in 25 years or so, Bill and I will not be at our door to meet the trick-or-treaters. I can't say it's my favorite night of the year. In fact, I hold many unfavorable memories of: helping frantic kids figure out costumes, usually about an hour before trick-or-treating... getting a pumpkin carved, usually about an hour before trick-or-treating... trying to get four kids to eat some dinner before trick-or-treating... traipsing the neighborhood with my kids so they wouldn't get accosted or kidnapped... consoling my son Dan, who DID get accosted by older kids who stole his candy... and not having enough candy for the trick-or-treaters.

The one favorable memory is eating the kids' good candy bars while they were at school. Can you believe that? I know if you're honest, most of you moms will admit the same.

So tonight, we're going out to dinner and staying out past 8 pm when the T-or-T'ers are supposed to go home. Call me a Halloween grinch.

I did come across a 20-year-old photo the other day ... maybe I will miss Halloween just a little ... presenting Halloween 1988:



Mark, 9 months (his only costume was a baby Santa hat)
Dan, 3-yr-old cowboy...or farmer?
David the sailor, age 5

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! Great stuff...good memories...nice photo.

You ate our candy?!? And then got on our case for plowing through it so fast?! That is messed up.

Anonymous said...

I WAS messed up much of the time...my mind was mush from mothering 4 little kids...

Jenny Haller said...

That pic is adorable!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes, you are the Hallerween grinch! I know, because I'm next door to that dark and vacant house.

But, why wait until the kids are at school to eat their candy? If it's in the house in plain sight, it's fair game!

klrodman said...

I, too, ate my kids candy on the sly...but only the chocolate! And here I thought I was the only one...

Anonymous said...

i think i'll add to Jill's Happy Haller - weenie! you ATE your kids candy ???? i just cannot believe that
Now what else are you going to admit to? I'm going to buy you a whole bag of candy ... poor little kids... but a nice mom to take that picture. or did your neighbor take that? barb your blog fantastic !! keep writing woman!!