Friday, October 17, 2008

Hanging on in October

I'm really, really, really NOT a sports fan.

Rather, I'm a fan of the people who matter to me, and the things that matter to them. So last night, when the Tampa Bay Rays blew a 7-0 lead and lost to the Boston Red Sox in the ALCS (that's important baseball, people) and were 2 innings from securing a spot in the World Series, I cared for one reason only: our son David. (See Oct. 2 post.)

Trouble is, our empty-nest lives right now are all a jumble from travels-in-Europe, October baseball ("there's only ONE October") and racing the weather to shut down our cabin 400 miles north of here.

So. Rays lose at 12:30 a.m. I'm thinking we'll get in the car this morning and drive north. No, no - Bill can't bear to miss game 6 of the ALCS tomorrow night. And neither can I. (No cable in Michigan) And - heaven forbid - possibly a 7th game Sunday night to see just who gets to go to the Series.

I hope the temps don't dip and freeze the pipes before we get up there.

Like I said, I'm not a sports fan.

No comments: