Friday, January 23, 2009

the past, the future

Here's something interesting I came across on another blog. She started out:

Do it.
Be cool like me.
Then post it to your blog and link your blog in the comments section.
'Cause it'll be fun.
And I don't have anything remarkably exciting to do today.


So I'm giving it a try and filling in my own past and future.

Where were you ...

5 years ago - Letting go. Kids were 20, 19, 16, 14. There was a period of 7 months in 2003 that all FOUR were teenagers. Life was a perpetual lesson in learning how to trust, communicate, laugh abundantly, love effectively and let go appropriately.

10 years ago - TEENAGERS! Ages 15, 14, 11 and 9. I was just figuring out how to parent teens and getting a little worried about what lay ahead.

15 years ago - Kids, kids, kids. My own, ages 10, 9, 6 and 4 plus neighbor kids running in and out and around our yard. Constant ballgames, meetings and carpools. If I wasn't in the van, I was in the kitchen or at the grocery store.

20 years ago - Mothering 3 little boys, ages 5, 4 and almost 1. About to lose my mind. A few months later, I was pregnant.

Where are you going?

5 years from now - ALL our kids will be through college! From 2001 to 2012 ... with five of those years having TWO kids in college at once. We'll be depleted...I mean elated.

10 years from now - David - 35. Dan - 34. Mark - 31. Katie - 29. Bill and I will be 10 years older and perhaps cuddling grandbabies. And still traveling.

15 years from now - Now I'm thinking several - maybe lots - of grandchildren. I plan to hold "Cousin Camp" where all grandchildren age 6 and up are invited for a week at the lake: no parents allowed! There will be: marshmallows and hot dogs, campfires, boating & swimming, reading together, rock-painting, biking, and NO TV! It's amazing to wonder about who my grandchildren will be and all their little personalities.

20 years from now - I hope I can still walk!

Life moves very, very fast. Grab it. Hold it. Cherish it. Thank God for it. "Ten years from now" will be here soon.

1 comment:

Megan and Company said...

It's neat to read a different perspective. It is so easy to get caught up in the "now" with the little ones. I often lose sight at how quickly time moves, taking my little ones along with it!