Monday, January 16, 2012

the dance

My third - wow, third - granddaughter is due in about three weeks! I'm getting very excited to meet her, and see Jill and my son become parents, too.

Since Ari and Ashlyn live in North Carolina, it'll be a new experience to live close to a grandchild. Grandmas (and grandpas) have to learn their roles, a sort of dance of how much to be involved. I want to be a help, but not an intrusion. It'll be fun to offer support, but not overbearingly so.   When David, our first, was born, Bill's mom flew down for a few days. What a perfect help she was, mostly cooking and cleaning while I cared for David. I'll take a cue from her.

Mark and Jill will need space to get to know their baby, and how to be parents. How to diaper. How to hold, rock, sway and comfort her. How to get by on less sleep. And in no time, they'll be in love with their little girl. They'll do just fine, I'm sure of it.

Two years ago: January 2010. One of my first - and favorite - photos with Ari.

2 comments:

Karen Dawkins said...

I remember how excited you were to make that trip to meet Ari -- and Ashlyn. :) This time, you won't have so far to travel. Praying for health and energy for Mark and Jill. YIPPEE! Can't wait to "meet" number three!

Jenny Haller said...

Yes, cooking is so helpful. As well as filling up large glasses of ice cold water for nursing moms! You are a big help... especially this time around entertaining Ari!