Thursday, January 12, 2012

lost

I usually only get lost in a book in the summertime. You know, a book that might take a chapter or two before you're hooked. You read in bed and finally fall asleep. The next day, you read instead of cleaning bathrooms and dinner's late, too. By the middle of the book, you read hungrily until your eyes hurt. You look at the clock and it's 1:15 a.m.

Such was the case for me with Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. The story follows a fictional character, 10-year-old Sarah, a Jewish girl caught in the roundup of thousands of Jews in 1942 Paris. Parallel to her story is a modern-day journalist who uncovers Sarah's tragic journey.

I started reading over the weekend. By Sunday night the story had me, and I roared through it on Monday and Tuesday. Now I have just a few more pages.

Getting lost in a good book. It's altogether maddening and wonderful and sad when it ends, like a good friend moving away.

What book has captured you?

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Loved that book, too. I want to see the movie (released last sping). That book led me to read a bunch of books on the French role in the Holocaust, and a wonderful nonfiction book, Train in Winter, which details the lives of 250 French women from all different classes who joined the French resistance. The author writes about the women's acts of resistance, their internment in Aucshwitz and, for the 49 who survived, their lives after WWWII.

Karen Dawkins said...

The Help is the last book I read that gripped me like that... and that was a year ago. Ben and I venture to the library early next week. I've added this to the list. :)

Lanita said...

The most recent book that gripped me was Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. I don't usually get that involved in a nonfiction book, but this one was a real page-turner for me. I enjoyed the beginning, hated the middle, and was in awe at the end. Louis Zapperini is truly a man for whom God had a plan.