Monday, January 23, 2012

souvenirs

Moved. That's what I am. In reading the posts from other Lighthouse mission teams, I am moved to witness transformed hearts. What joy to see college kids serving others joyfully, tirelessly. The Ethiopia team, working alongside Project Mercy, heads home today. One of its members wrote this:

“I have started thinking about how I will be or want to be different when I get home. The thing that hit me last night was that my needs are smaller here, and I hope they stay smaller when I get home. Simple things like food I am seeing from a different perspective. At the DC [dining commons on campus], we are offered so much. We waste much of it, but the thing that hit me is how much we eat beyond what we need. There is nothing wrong with enjoying what you eat and eating your fill, but our concept of “full” is skewed. Thinking through needs, especially with food, brings up the idea of “enough” in my mind. In America, at home, at school, we have enough. Even when we look at the food we are blessed to have on our shelves and say, “There is nothing to eat,” because it doesn’t happen to be what we want, we still have enough.”

As I read posts from the various teams, I am humbled. These 20 and 21-year-olds are God's hands and feet, and especially His heart. They have been affirmed of God's absolute goodness and provision. As they find their place in the world, they are examining their motivations and passions as young believers. It's pretty darned exciting if you ask me.

I'm getting excited to see our Katie this Friday, and what she's brought home from Paraguay. Not in her suitcase, but in her heart.

I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:12-13

No comments: