Wednesday, January 4, 2012

birthday season!

We're entering birthday season!

For most of my life, I've dreamed of changing my birthday from January 3 to July 3. Swimming parties! No school! My family does a good job celebrating, but face it: it's an effort. Following Christmas and New Year's, most of us are ready for a break from celebrating. We're partied out, spent out and worn out.

As a kid, if I wasn't headed back to school on my birthday, I was helping take down Christmas decorations. And there was the year I was a freshman in college and we were moving on my birthday. My mom forgot my birthday! Wow, cool.

Yesterday, my children called me, my hubby bought a cake, and we went out to dinner with Mark and Jill. It was nice. It's just that we're all heaving a sigh of relief after the holidays. And by the way, it's not just my birthday. My husband, granddaughter and one son are also January babies. And two more children plus our soon-to-arrive granddaughter are in February. That's a lot of cake.

Our granddaughter Ari is a New Year's baby, so she and I can comiserate. I'll try to be upbeat about our first-of-the-year birthdays; I'm sure Ari will have a better attitude than me!

When's your birthday? Do you like when it is? (Pardon the lousy grammar.) Why or why not?

2 comments:

-d said...

My favorite month is October...autumn colors against bright, blue skies; a little frost in the morning with the hope of a warming sunshine in the afternoon.

So I am thankful that my birthday is 10-10 (a fun date, anyway). My birthday is almost always near a weekend that's perfect for getting outdoors and canoeing or cycling or hiking.

Karen Dawkins said...

I have a spring birthday and I love it, especially now that I live in the south! Sunny skies, warm temps. BLISS!

My favorite birthday was when I turned 10. The sun was shining after days of rain. I jumped in every single puddle on the 1/2 mile walk down my driveway!

My least favorite birthday was when I turned 16 and we had a snow day. I had soooo looked forward to the traditional "locker decorating" that we did for each other at school AND getting my temporary license. But, I have recovered! :)

Happy birthday, Barb.