Sunday, October 10, 2010

the birthday girls of 10.10.10

Isn't 10/10/10 about the coolest date for anything special? I happen to have TWO friends with a birthday today! These are the gals who live right next door and right across the street. You know those neighbor non-relationships where the people come home, shut their garage doors and go in the house? Not here, oh no. I couldn't stay anonymous if I wanted to. Here's what we've shared over the past 17 years...

- illnesses, surgeries, and loss of a parent
- caring for ailing parents
- kids learning to drive
- hitting each other's cars on the street
- borrowing (we agree not to return the items so all are free to borrow) sugar, eggs, milk, tomatoes, butter, cream cheese, you name it
- bad - really bad - hair days
- snow days
- dog care -- runaway dogs, howling dogs, barking dogs, hungry dogs, peeing dogs
- rebellious kids ... countless tears shed
- funny, loving and honorable kids, too
- weddings and babies
- achieving kids and kids who don't
- clueless husband stories
- thoughtful husband stories
- what books we've read
- coffee, tea, birthday cakes, breakfasts
- mailbox balloons
- flower-growing contests by our mailboxes
- chasing baby raccoons around the neighborhood
- sun tea contests: who gets the first jar out in the spring
- graduation parties (I win on this one)
- gardening expertise (I lose on this one)
- computer knowledge (I totally lose on this one)
- kids moving out, moving in and moving around
- prayer with and for each other

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DOVE AND LYNN ... thank you for keeping your garage doors up and your hearts open. I love you!

(This post is borrowed from 2008 ... some just bear repeating!)

2 comments:

-d said...

I love you both so much. You make me laugh or cry with joy, and you have kind words and good arms for hugs when the sad tears just need to flow. And thankfully, you're just enough ahead of me in mamma experience that I can glean from your godly wisdom.

Barb said...

Thanks, but oh, please! Just a sister mama on the road of learning. Happy birthday!