Thursday, October 21, 2010

happy birthday, Jenny!

Many years ago a friend invited me to pray weekly with other moms for our children, their schools and teachers. I learned from those moms how to really pray for my kids. I'd hear them pray for their children's future spouses; that God would already be protecting their hearts and minds and preparing them for the day they'd marry into a family. It seemed a little odd to me, but I began to embrace the idea of praying for my
future daughters and son-in-law. ("in-loves" I call them.)

Within ten years, my son Dan introduced us to Jenny, a bright and spirited college sophomore who had captured his heart. I eyed her carefully, not sure what to make of a serious girlfriend for one of my boys.

I soon saw Dan's attraction to Jenny: she had a zest for life, a genuine interest in others and new ideas, a love of God ... and coffee! She seemed a part of our family right away. 

Most of you know the rest of this story: Dan and Jenny married soon after college graduation and became parents this year. My prayers have changed to include their marriage, jobs, parenthood and all the challenges faced by a young couple.

Today is Jenny's 26th birthday. How thankful I am for her. The wonder years are ahead of you, Jenny: rearing children, supporting Dan, pursuing your personal interests. Enjoy it and chase after God ... wishing you a very happy birthday!


3 comments:

Karen Dawkins said...

There is no sweeter thing than a mama praying for her kids -- and kids-in-love -- and grandkids.

Jenny Haller said...

Thank you thank you thank you!

-d said...

Blessings all the way around. Happy birthday, Jenny.