Monday, October 18, 2010

sunday drive

A couple of generations ago, folks would take a "Sunday drive" for ... entertainment, I guess. There weren't so many soccer practices or orthodontist appointments or the constant driving here and there as we have today. My dad pulled this on us a few times and I thought it pretty much pointless: driving in the country to look at houses, pastures and horses.

But yesterday just seemed like a good day for a drive in the country and we have lots of lovely country in our county. Brilliant October afternoon, crisp and clear. Off we went. Bill, Ellie and me. I posted on facebook that I was "going shooting," which meant grabbing my camera.

First stop: Prospect, Ohio. Rumor had it that we'd find a gigantic ginkgo tree in the Prospect cemetery. (Sure glad I consulted Websters: I thought it was 'ginko!') No rumor: she's massive. So massive that photos just don't do it justice. So go see her sometime. 'She' ought to have a name, like Gertie the Ginkgo, don't you think?


I recognized the shape of the leaves, but they seemed smaller than I imagined.


OK, so I'm a tree hugger.


At the edge of the cemetery, overlooking the river was the tiniest chapel you ever did see. It appears to have been painted recently and is jammed with old stuff. I wonder if funeral services were once held here.


If this shot looks familiar, you might have seen it last year ...
taken in the lovely Gallant Woods, our next stop. This park offers walking trails in both meadows and woods.


See the cute older couple holding hands as they walk?


I covet this ceiling for my house, but it's in the picnic shelter at Gallant.


Ellie, happy, always happy to be with us.
I should be more like that with people I love!


The longer I live, the more I realize how blessed I am
to have married a very good man.


October is racing by: oh, I don't want to miss its splendor!

Thank you, God, for this spectacular season!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wish we could have been with you.....next time. :)

Lisa