Tuesday, September 11, 2012

VRBO - ing

Good grief, I'm a VRBO maniac! In case you're unaware, VRBO, Vacation Rentals By Owner, is an amazing site where you can find rental homes anywhere. I mean, ANYWHERE. It should be named Anywhere Rentals By Owner. Ha ha!

So. You go to www.vrbo.com and begin. Choose a state. Or country, I believe. I haven't gone that far yet. Then you designate an area of the state you'd like to visit. Click, and presto! Up comes dozens of rental homes, cabins, and cottages with photos and prices. Also included are details of the property: bedrooms and baths and all the amenities such as hot tubs, fireplaces, canoes and grills. Some properties spell it out all out. Others leave much to the imagination. As in, only a view out the living room is shown. If there are no kitchen photos, that's a red flag to me!

As per usual, I am stepping gingerly into this whole rental thing. But now that Thanksgiving is creeping closer, I'm getting serious. I have a clipboard with my favorite properties, prices and availability. Of course we indecisive Hallers must first choose a date, if not Thanksgiving itself. Which, if you know anything about rentals, makes a big difference in price.

One son has a new job. Our daughter is probably about to move and doesn't yet know her job. All have busy lives and we all live in 4 different states separated by hundreds of miles. It's looking like we'll settle on a few days in November in the Blue Ridge Highlands of southern Virginia. And hope it doesn't snow, because none of us has 4-wheel drive.

The details, oh, the details! But I cannot wait. All my chickies, the big and the small, together in one coop!

Have any of you used VRBO?

5 comments:

N and J McKee said...

I too love VRBO! I booked our honeymoon in the Smokeys and our 1 year anniversary trip this summer to Asheville using it. Both have been great experiences! I will continue using it!

N and J McKee said...

I too love VRBO! I booked our honeymoon in the Smokeys and our 1 year anniversary trip this summer to Asheville using it. Both have been great experiences! I will continue using it!

N and J McKee said...

I too love VRBO! I booked our honeymoon in the Smokeys and our 1 year anniversary trip this summer to Asheville using it. Both have been great experiences! I will continue using it!

N and J McKee said...

I too love VRBO! I booked our honeymoon in the Smokeys and our 1 year anniversary trip this summer to Asheville using it. Both have been great experiences! I will continue using it!

Karen Dawkins said...

WOW... I haven't stopped by in a while. You'd think with all our texts and emails I, the travel blogger, would know about your VRBO plans. But no.....

We rented a vacation home in Paris and LOVED IT!!!! First, cheaper than a hotel. Second, bigger than a hotel room. Third, a kitchen!!!! We loved the chance to "live" like Parisians, not just trespass on the city. :)

Happy planning. Decide soon!