Thursday, August 11, 2011

clothes shopping for babies

Shopping for baby clothes isn't what it used to be.  Maybe because I'm a grandma, but it's all very confusing to me. I haven't shopped for children's clothing in a very long time. The young moms whiz in, efficiently find what they want, purchase and leave.

The Carter's store is brimming with adorable outfits for little ones, beginning with the tiniest. And this Carter's store has incredibly exuberant sales girls.

"Can I help you find something?" They chirp. "A gift? New baby?"

Well, she might help if I knew what I needed. And yes, it's for a new baby: my granddaughter Ashlyn. But also for her big sister.

I text Jenny for sizes and needs, last-minute of course. Jenny's not into headbands and frilly stuff for her girls. But my sales girl steers me straight to some "adorable accessories:" headbands! I decide I'd better browse on my own, avoiding the pinks and ruffles and big bows.

When my babies came along, the sizing rule of thumb was to double the child's age to determine the right size. No more! This has thrown me off for a year now. Carter's makes it simpler by giving a weight range for each size. Still, I want to do that doubling thing and the sales girl must think I'm crazy.

My initial idea was to find matching outfits or sleepers or something for the girls. I abandon that thought almost immediately when I realize I would have to walk back and forth between the newborn and toddler sizes to decide. And it was, after all, our anniversary and my date was waiting in the car.

Thankfully, Jenny sends me some helpful texts and I select some items. Also, a young mom gives me a 20% off coupon AND it was GRANDPARENTS DAY at Carter's so I received an additional discount.

Do you think the sales girls tell every grandma, every day, that it's grandparent's day?

1 comment:

Karen Dawkins said...

You are sooo funny!!!! :)
I shop for baby clothes at Kohl's. Less meandering -- and a bit less exuberance!

I am not sure how they are with grandparents day, though.