Saturday, August 27, 2011

bullies

I actually think about bullies a fair amount.
That seems weird.
But I've had a little experience and have my theories.
Bullies won't bully if there's no sail for their wind.
No one to look scared, act scared or do what they're told.
No one to turn over their lunch money,
or stay away from the bully's locker.
Or - and now I talk about adult bullies -
no one who acquiesces to a bully's expectations, demands,
and emotional blackmail. Have you known someone like that?
I was not a bully but I defended those who got bullied,
like my younger brother. It made my blood boil to see him bullied.
One day I got on the school bus behind a bully-type,
and I saw him smack my brother on the head.
I automatically shoved him as hard as I could, sending him flying
to the back of the bus. (I think the bus driver might have smiled a little.)
The bully never bothered us again.
Sometimes you just have to stand up to a bully
and let him/her know you won't be bullied.
That's my take on bullies.
What's yours?

6 comments:

Karen Dawkins said...

My formerly-bullied child is now the defender of the bullied. (Seriously, my eyes filled with tears as I wrote that.) His precious, tender heart -- strengthened by the storms he endured -- he now offers safe shelter for those battered by bullies.

I hated what he went through. I rejoice that God redeemed even that which "bully" meant for evil.

Barb said...

Thoughtful comments, Karen. I got to thinking after I wrote this, about my response to bullies as a Christ-follower. We are to love everyone, yes. But then, love can look like what you're saying ... taking a stand for someone against a bully.

Karen Dawkins said...

My formerly bullied also prays for his bully. He invites him to church often -- whenever there's a special teen service or cool event happening. It's his unanswered prayer posted on his bulletin board.

It is possible to love the bully even if standing up to him.

Love the new look on your blog. Subtle, but nice!

anne said...

I always think of that story of you protecting our brother on the bus when I think of bullies - I just wonder what kind of trouble you would have gotten into if you did that these days on the bus. Too often the defender gets in just as much trouble if not more than the bully these days!

Mark said...

Since I was the benefactor of that school bus shove, I say thanks! Funny thing is, after I grew 6 inches in one summer, the bullying mysteriously vanished! Imagine that!

Barb said...

yeah - funny thing, bro'! And you're welcome. Though I was a bossy big sister, I felt it my duty to look out for you!