Monday, August 29, 2011

Burger King - or designer - oatmeal?

Here's a little news item. Places like Burger King and McDonalds are offering oatmeal for breakfast. Oatmeal at the drive-through? It makes me laugh. Even Starbucks is jumping on the bandwagon and prices range from $1.99 to $4.99 for a bowl of oatmeal. I'm not taking time to do the math, but for five bucks I'm sure I could make enough oatmeal at home for 40 people!

When I was on staff at Girl Scout camp about a hundred years ago, my campers groaned on oatmeal morning. These kids had obviously never been taught how to dress up a bowl of oatmeal, so I'd swing into action. I'd run to the kitchen and ask the cook for brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and raisins. That's just the beginning. These days I add in nuts, chopped apple and craisins. Good breakfast!

It's beyond me why anyone would serve plain oatmeal to a kid. Fancy it up! Pile on the good stuff and most kids will eat it. Super economical and healthy, too.

Mmmm, think I'll have oatmeal in the morning! For just a few pennies.

1 comment:

-d said...

Nothing like home-cooked oatmeal. It's frequently our church morning breakfast. Mmm.