Wednesday, April 27, 2011

royal wedding


Alright, I admit it. I'm a little excited about the royal wedding in two days: Prince William marries Kate Middleton in Westminster Abbey. If I want to see the live broadcast, I'll be sipping coffee by 5:00 a.m. on Friday.

I remember the wedding in 1981 of William's parents, Charles and Diana. I got up in the middle of the night, not having the advantage of DVR. Theirs was the first royal wedding I ever watched and it was magnificent. Diana's train was 25 feet long. Wow.

Of course, their marriage didn't last: the victim, perhaps, of a too-public and unrealistic lifestyle. Is it true Charles and Diana were together only 13 times before they married? She seemed sad from the start, the 19-year-old bride thrust into such a public life.

I hope Kate and William forge a committed, happy and lasting union.

5 comments:

LPool said...

i'll be watching too!!

Barb said...

Of course you will, Lyn ... you're practically a Brit, right?

-d said...

I, too, remember getting up very early in the morning to watch the wedding in 1981. I had to because I had a history with the royal family!

In 1969, I had portrayed Queen Elizabeth in our nursery school reinactment of Charles' televised crowning by the Queen as Prince of Wales. (I even got to kiss a very cute boy on the cheek.)

Then I visited England when I was 12 and saw the changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace.

The 1981 wedding came at just the right time in my life for me to be fascinated with such extravagance. I even had a shirt made that said, "I love Prince Charles" that I wore to work that weekend.

So it is exciting to have hope again in a beautiful royal wedding.

Oh, but this is your blog.)

Barb said...

Great memories, Dove!

Karen Dawkins said...

Not sure if I'll be watching, but excited that they chose to honor Nathan and get married on his birthday. LOL