Wednesday, December 8, 2010

with a tree on top, don't, DON'T pull into the garage!

I'm pleased to announce that we did NOT pull into the garage whilst our Christmas tree was tied atop the van. Yay us!

Who would do that, you ask? I did. Yes, I most certainly did, probably ten years ago. But I had four giddy kids in the van at the time, all of them loudly drunk on Christmas expectation. We'd just visited Bill at his office, where a lovely Christmas open house was in progress. After letting them eat a free dinner of BBQ weenies and onion dip, I corralled the kids and headed home. Garage door up, pull in.

Scrreeeeech, scratch. My four sobered up in a hurry. "MOM! THE TREE'S STILL ON THE VAN!"
Duh. I knew that. Well, I did know it, but as harried moms tend to do, I forgot for the few seconds it took to pull into the garage and wedge the tree between van and garage door. Dang.

The boys were big enough to tackle the problem, which, picture this, was a tree in a tight spot. I'd had it. Had enough of kids, Christmas, BBQ weenies, and trees. I walked into the house and let them solve it.

They scooted and slid it right off. And we all laughed.

Every year they remind me of my Christmas lapse in judgment. I'm sure this year will be no different.

6 comments:

-d said...

I remember that well! (One of your Griswold moments.) So does this mean you have a real tree this year?

Barb said...

That pitiful fake thing didn't cut it. But then we weren't at home on Christmas last year. Step out your door and take a look!

Lori said...

"...loudly drunk on Christmas expectation..." Love that phrase! Way to use your words, Barb!

Loved the story, too. You make me grateful that I'm not the only one who has 'duh' moments!

Dan said...

Unforgettable.

Dave Haller said...

Ha! We don't have to remind you, now.

And you couldn't back out, because the trunk was on the front part of the car so it would have broken off all the branches going the opposite direction.

Barb said...

ha ha - good memory, David! Like a fish hook. But you boys came to the rescue!