Thursday, December 16, 2010

Joseph's Lullaby

I struggle this time of year, allowing myself to get overly busy, trying to "make a perfect Christmas." I don't shop early, bake early or write cards early. So it all piles up ... right about now. Honestly? I probably don't even stop to consider why I do all these things at all. Except that I love others and want to give.

Without fail, what always brings me back to the 'why' of Christmas is music. The lyrics of old favorites and new compositions soften my soul and allow God to remind me of why we give. Because He gave. It's that simple.

I'm borrowing the rest of this post from last year because I like it. Oh, and because my shopping's not done!

[We were awaiting the birth of our first grandchild.] I think of Joseph. He, too, welcomed his baby into the world. While Joseph's son was destined to be the Savior of the world, for all people, for all time, Joseph was a man, a humble carpenter. I can't imagine his divided emotions over the arrival of this little boy. The group MercyMe expresses Joseph's situation beautifully. Take a listen. I hope it brings your heart closer to the heart of Christmas.


www.youtube.com/watch?v=PytP9XPhP1g&feature=related

Go to sleep my Son
This manger for your bed
You have a long road before You
Rest Your little head.

Can You feel the weight of Your glory?
Do You understand the price?
Does the Father guard Your heart for now
So You can sleep tonight?

Go to sleep my Son
Go and chase Your dreams
This world can wait for one more moment
Go and sleep in peace.

I believe the glory of Heaven
Is lying in my arms tonight
Lord, I ask that He for just this moment
Simply be my child.

Go to sleep my Son
Baby, close Your eyes
Soon enough You'll save the day
But for now, dear Child of mine
Oh my Jesus, Sleep tight

- MercyMe

No comments: