Tuesday, December 7, 2010

gas station redemption

The episode at the Virginia gas station back in October still bothered me. I guess the guy got his point across because I still think about him every time I pump gas. But over the weekend I had another gas station experience that renewed my faith in people or, at least men at gas stations.

Driving solo to visit my dad in Nashville, I pulled into a Speedway station in Bowling Green, Kentucky. After filling up, I parked to review my route into Nashville. But when I turned the ignition, the awful click-click-click told me the battery was history. Dang.

Feeling like a panhandler - or worse - I approached every guy who pulled in, especially those in pick-ups, asking for jumper cables.

"No ma'am, mine are at home" or "in the other truck, ma'am" was the answer from probably ten different guys. (Am I really a ma'am?) At last, an older gentleman about the age of the Virginia crazy man took pity on me. After trying unsuccessfully to pop the clutch, we found a young guy in a pick-up with cables and they jumped my battery.

Yippee, ready to hit the road. But the older gentleman advised, "right down there is an Advance Auto Parts and you might want to have that battery checked. Then if it's bad they'll put in a new one." I considered and thought, yes, maybe I'd better.

Thirty minutes, a new battery and $90 later I was back on I-65 heading south to Nashville. I learned that the state football championship was coming to Bowling Green that weekend and had I arrived later, the auto parts guys probably couldn't have helped me so quickly. I also called my sister, who I was meeting in Nashville, to pray for my situation.

I didn't even get the first name of the man who came to my rescue. He was sincerely polite and helpful but not creepy. He even drove by as I was getting the new battery and waved, as if making sure I was ok.

There's plenty of nastiness out in the world, as the media is quick to point out. But once in awhile the best of humanity rises up to restore my faith. And maybe Kentucky has more gentlemen than Virginia.

1 comment:

Karen Dawkins said...

Redemption! That HIS-story! :)
YAY for you.