Monday, September 13, 2010

techno-grandma

Good gracious. Ari, my gorgeous 8-month-old granddaughter, is crawling. CRAWLING!

"Oh, boo hoo - she lives so far away!" say my friends.

Well, yes she does, not to mention her dad (my son Dan) and mom (daughter-in-love Jenny). My oldest son David lives even farther: Florida.

Oh, I'd love to hop over for a day to play with Ari, or have them over for dinner and birthdays. But here's how I see it. A generation or two ago, sons went to war without cell phones or skype. Babies were born without video cameras or Macbooks to share instantly with grandparents. Now in 2010 we have technology out the wazoo to exchange photos, videos and voices with each other.

Ari's crawling was caught on camera and posted on their blog (Ari's great-grandmother still can't quite understand that) ... and Baba (me) gets to hit 'play' 150 times if I choose. Which I very nearly do. I'll understand if you don't, but you oughta watch it at least once:

http://danandjennyh.blogspot.com/2010/09/movin-out.html

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have Ari nearby. But since that isn't the case, I am most thankful to see her eating an apple (the latest photo sent to my cell phone) or crawling on my laptop. What fun it will be when she's talking and we can skype, chatting about our lives!

Skyping the night Ari was born, from laptop to laptop.
Taken with my camera, on Katie's laptop. Amazing!

6 comments:

Karen Dawkins said...

I still think that you should move to a more central location -- NORTH CAROLINA!!!! Closer to me, perhaps, but I have only unselfish intentions at that!!!

Much love!

Barb said...

You just never give up. First you'll have to get rid of that icky red dirt! Love ya, too.

Lisa said...

You are such a good example for those of us who have these things to look forward to....:)

Barb said...

why, thanks, Lisa.

Jenny Haller said...

Yeah for technology! Ari sends her love via blogger.

Barb said...

STILL not as good & sweet as real snuggling, but it'l have to do. (-;