Thursday, August 19, 2010

the one-day screen

What a stinkin' hot summer. Typically we brag in Ohio about keeping the AC off during long cool stretches. Or short cool stretches. Not this summer. Blazing hot.

How hot is it? Well, the screen on the front storm door was in for ONE day: that would be yesterday. Other than Wednesday, August 18, that darn storm door has had the glass all summer as if it were January.

Bill has given up trying to convince me to keep the front door shut to keep the hot out and the cold in and vice versa. My light-craving, claustrophobic-leaning self simply must have the front door open during the day. In extreme temps, the glass panel's in the storm door. If and when the temps turn mild, the screen is in.

Sigh. I will hope for some September days when I can pop the screen back in and enjoy some cross-breeze through the house.

Does anyone else battle with the glass-or-screen issue?

2 comments:

Karen Dawkins said...

Since summer means hot in NC, we don't even have a screen door. Our front door has a window, which has blinds over it -- to keep the sun from roasting our front hall.

Nathan and I battle like you and Bill. He opens that blind every chance he gets. I close it when the sun pours in.

I'm not surprised that August 18 was your mild day. It's the BEST DAY of the year ;-)

-d said...

I'm with you on keeping my door open for the light. Besides, the heat doesn't come in from the north side of the house.