Saturday, August 28, 2010

things Mom never taught me

Hallelujah glory be! After 32 years I finally discovered how to clean the shower floor. Pretty much by accident. Born of desperation, my method works sparklingly well.

Forget the battery-operated rotating shower sprays. This isn't a shared chore. My hubby plays the "I can't see in there without my glasses" card and so finally I get serious and say to myself, what would clean most effectively with the least effort on my part?

Comet, friends. COMET! After showering, I sprinkle the miracle bleachy-powder liberally on the shower floor. Spread around lightly with a scrub brush until it turns blue, all over the floor and up the cruddy edges.

Forget it til the next day. Use a scrub brush to (I'm not making this up) just loosen the globs, and rinse. You won't believe it. I didn't. I still don't. For huge build-ups, do it over and over.

My shower floor sparkles! Well, as nearly as a shower floor can sparkle. And what do you know, my scrub brush is dazzling white, too!

Now, you scientists or plumbers ... don't tell me that Comet will damage the drain or pipes. I don't really care. My shower is clean!

Mom also never taught me how to cut into an avocado, though I seriously doubt that an avocado every entered her kitchen. My daughter-in-love Jenny taught me this one. Instead of tediously peeling it (oh, duh), you cut through to the pit once all the way around, then twist apart as you would an Oreo. Scoop out pit and pulp. Yum and easy.

If Mom ever held peach pie-making class, I was absent. Never have made one, and it's my favorite. Tonight I enjoyed peach pie made by my daughter-in-love Jill: fabulous! Now she'll have to teach me.

Mom taught me a lot, but she missed a few. What has life taught you that your mom didn't?

No comments: