Wednesday, August 4, 2010

learn to swim ... and to save

Six teenagers from two families drowned over the weekend in Louisiana. Horrific. I cannot imagine losing three of my children on one afternoon.

Swimming lessons are great, but it's only the start of keeping our kids safe around the water. I failed beginning swimming three times, but my mother, an avid swimmer, kept taking me swimming throughout my childhood. In college, I finally learned to swim well by taking lifesaving and becoming a water safety instructor.

I believe everyone should learn to swim, but also learn the basics of water safety; what to do if you see someone in trouble in the water.

Had those who were out for an afternoon barbecue in Louisiana had some basic water safety skills, the results could have been less tragic.

1 comment:

LPool said...

For as long as I can remember, every summer as a child up until we were in High School, Every summer morning my brothers and I were in swimming lessons. My parents were both very good swimmers and it seemed like we always lived in or around water. And because of that it's hard for me to understand someone who will go in the water when they can't swim. Happens here all the time and most of the times it turns tragic.