Wednesday, August 25, 2010

back to school

 
back to school -1993

Goodness, it seems the whole world is starting school today. Oh, how I remember! Fill out reams of forms quadruple times, pack lunches, get haircuts, meet the teachers ahead of time (wouldn't they see them for the next 180 days?) and ... SHOP FOR SCHOOL SUPPLIES. After several years of this maddening exercise with four children clutching their lists and hollering at me, I finally learned to take just one or two children at a time to Wal-mart.

Countless memories of the school years come flooding back as I hear other, younger moms celebrating/lamenting the start of school. My biggest challenge was the homework ... helping/encouraging/monitoring my four little students. Don't miss that.

For years I participated in Moms in Touch, praying with other moms for our kids, their teachers and schools, and for children who have no one to pray for them. A powerful experience.

Today my son Dan begins his fourth year teaching fourth grade. He's in a new school with new co-workers, new students and schedule. We helped him set up his bright and roomy classroom. I hope and pray he and his students have a fantastic year. But I'm thankful I don't have to help him with homework!





2 comments:

Karen Dawkins said...

No surprise. Our blogs take on a similar theme today. My heart breaks for the kids who don't have involved parents. Praying for Dan and all the teachers out there on the front lines! May his classroom be a blessing to each student, may his life be a light to the kids who need it most.

Barb said...

Thank you, Karen! Dan's in a new school right in Charlotte: a magnet school for the arts, but it's a big change for him. Appreciate the prayers!