Tuesday, June 15, 2010

the drive-through

Ah, the fast-food drive-through. It's my constant source of ... laughter!
I don't know how it all started. Getting the giggles in drive-throughs. But I do.

Maybe it was the night I ordered our pajama-clad kids into the van for a surprise destination. Woo-heee, sundaes at the McDonald's drive-through! But several facts aligned to make it rip-roaringly funny.

1. The kids and I were all in p.j.'s and/or bathrobes. Bill was not. He's a little too proper for that. It struck me, at the most inopportune time, that the young drive-through clerk might think Bill was taking the looney cases for an outing from the nut house.

2. I believe it was around Christmas, and a special sundae topping was being offered. Some sort of balls. Trouble was, the clerk asked if we wanted "nuts and balls" on our sundaes. Well. With three adolescent boys in the backseat, that question caused an uproar of laughter. And I was no better. Home we went, in our bathrobes, eating our sundaes with nuts and balls, giggling all the way.

Or maybe all this silliness started the time we were returning from a funeral, along with Grandma. Everyone piled into McDonald's for potty, treats or what have you, and I decided to pull the van near the door so that Grandma wouldn't have so far to walk. At precisely the moment she walked out the door, I realized I was idling in the drive-through lane. "Hurry, Grams, hurrrrrr-y!" I muttered to myself. One car, two cars, three behind me. Proper Bill appears, lifts his hands to ask, "what are you DOING?" and I vigorously point to his mother. The boys catch on quickly, and hustle their Grandma to the van, virtually pushing her in the side door and slamming it shut. I could barely drive, I was laughing so hard.

One chipper clerk, upon hearing me say 'Amen!' shouted out his window, "YOU SAVED?!"

I do love the drive-through. I always count on something or someone to bring a laugh to my day. Do you have any funny drive-through stories?

2 comments:

Dave Haller said...

Hahahahahaha........

Great stuff. Great memories.

-d said...

Nothing makes us laugh harder in the drive-through than seeing the window clerk's face when we pull up to pay after our grown (?) 6'4" man-of-the-house uses a little girl voice to order. The extra dare is when he continues to use that voice face to face.