Tuesday, May 4, 2010

24 at Taylor

Over the weekend I became a college student for 24 hours. At my daughter Katie's invitation, I packed my pillow, sheets and toothbrush and drove out to Indiana to spend a night with her.

Oh, boy. I'm no longer 20 years old. I observed college life with a new perspective, 30 years later:

1. My suite-mates don't watch the clock very closely. On Sunday, a "school night," we went to bed about 1 a.m. "This is early," they said.

2. I forgot that a shower wouldn't be there awaiting me. Finding them all occupied, I realized the the "8 o'clock class" girls would clear out soon. They did.


Oldest living college student:
ready for bed.

3. Today's college students have a lot of STUFF. I don't think I possessed so many belongings back in the 70's. Katie's closet is suffering a severe case of end-of-year disorganization.

4. Despite the students' grumbling, I found the food acceptable. Katie's roommate thinks moving to an apartment would be fun, "because we'd have a kitchen and do our own cooking." In thirty years, she might think differently. Let someone else do the cooking as long as you can.

5. Doing laundry at college is a time-intensive annoyance .

6. TWO pick-a-date groups came by looking for a "bigger or better" item for a game they were playing. That was fun.

7. Privacy and quiet can be elusive at college. The comraderie is so wonderful, it's a wonder these girls get anything done.

8. Once college is over, the great care and support ends, too. The friendliness and helpfulness of a small, Christian college community is second to none.

9. Taylor chapel produces the most amazing worship and music and sweet voices and I wish I could be there all the time for it.

10. I came away thankful for a daughter (and her cute roommate Maria) who would share her time and space with mom. (And thanks, 1st south English, for welcoming me!) Love you, Katie!

Not ready for bed.

What did you love about college? Or not?

2 comments:

-d said...

What a grand opportunity! Love that you shared it. I only lived in apartments in college, never lived in a dorm, so it's all foreign to me.

Jenny Haller said...

I love Taylor. So much! Staying up late, laughing, running around campus doing ridiculous things. The fun traditions and the inside jokes. Oh, my heart aches for that community.