Friday, April 30, 2010

in the garden


White coral bells upon a slender stalk.
Lily-of-the-valley deck my garden walk!



I remember this little song from earliest childhood.
Mom sang it as a lullaby as I drifted off to sleep.



But it would be many years before I'd come to appreciate
the delicate beauty of lily-of-the-valley,
when my new daughter-in-love, Jenny, re-introduced them to me.
We transplanted some in my shade garden
three years ago. They are right at home there.

Thank you, Jenny!

4 comments:

Jenny Haller said...

They are truly the most beautiful and dainty flower. My favorite by far.

ForestJane said...

Very pretty! And I love the way they smell. I ought to move my iris out to where they can get more sun, and put something shade loving in my front flowerbed.

About how long does the bloom last? And after it's done blooming, does the foliage stay pretty for a while?

Barb said...

If I remember correctly, these tiny bell-blooms will be gone in 2-3 weeks. The foliage will remain green all summer.

These transplants actually came from way up in northern Michigan, beside our cabin. It's a chilly climate, so not sure how well these would do down south.

ForestJane said...

I have peony pictures over on my blog, but they don't stay pretty for very long, about a week. They're already starting to turn brown. The foliage is a nice dark green bush, though, and it lasts most of the summer.