Thursday, May 13, 2010

stayin' alive ... traveling with kids

 My kids were pretty good at amusing themselves on car trips.

My son's blog posts on his memories of growing up under my wings have stirred up some memories of my own ... particularly about traveling with kids.

We took to the road often. I think the earliest trip was David's first Christmas, in 1983. He wasn't yet three months old but he traveled beautifully from Florida to my brother's home in Atlanta. David was a laid-back little guy, though Bill and I took a photo of him screaming while in Atlanta because we'd never seen him carry on so.

Our family rapidly grew from one little traveler to four. Then things got interesting. Thankfully, time has a way of smoothing the edges off the most extreme travel memories, because I remember most with fondness.

We acquired our first mini-van in 1986. It was - and is - the best invention known to moms, mainly because it put distance between parents and kids, and each other. On trips with with both parents, the phrase "do you want me to come back there?" was no threat because I DID "go back there." I was plenty limber, and at a moment's provocation I'd bound over teddy bears, cheerios, blankets and coloring books to "clear the air" in the far corners of our van. Some dads are impervious to the shenanigans that go on back there. But I wasn't.

My sister will remember this. She had bravely road-tripped with the two boys and me to Florida from Ohio, and Dan commenced a piercing scream on the beltway around Atlanta. After 30 miles, Anne discovered a solid little something in Dan's diaper. It's the little things that can put a damper on trips.

A mayonnaise jar makes a handy potty on the go ... for boys.

I found the kids to be calmer and better-behaved if only one parent was in the car. Maybe they instinctively knew that their lives were at greater risk if they distracted the driver. I took full advantage of this and made some outlandish solo trips with the four kids. Craziest of all was Ohio to Rhode Island to the Outer Banks when the kids were ages 2 - 8. Yeah, insane. We skirted north of New York City, wowed by the skyline. And on the Connecticut turnpike, we encountered a power outage at a rest stop. Katie, age 2, screamed hysterically in the dark bathroom stall with me.

I never put up with screaming in the car, however. I'd just pull off the road and sit until they got quiet. "Can't drive when you're screaming." It always worked. Kids, whether they're enjoying the trip or not, don't like to waste time at the side of the road.

Assigned seats. Yes. I really did. Tired of endless bickering over who sat where (and usually on normal errands about town), I devised a seating chart. Each seat was numbered and each child was assigned a seat number, rotating to a new one each week. Sounds extreme, but it worked. Pretty sure I still have that seating chart somewhere.

We did without videos to entertain the kids on car trips: the technology didn't exist. But books did. And small toys, Cheerios (lots of those), crayons, puzzle books, "Brain Quest," guessing games, pillows for napping, songs and lots of good, fun conversations. I think I really got to know my kids while riding in the car. 

The monster of all road trips occurred in summer 1998 when we journeyed 5300 miles to Montana and back.

That, dear friends, is another blog post.

I'm sure you have some notable travel memories, either as a child or parent!



9 comments:

-d said...

Some of our best memories are on the road traveling, too. I'm thankful for good readers, road games, and the close-quarter conversations.

I can relate to climbing to the back to join the kids, and I, too, used to stop the car until the screaming was over. :-)

Dave Haller said...

Great post!! Funny stuff. That Rhode Island-to-Outer Banks one really was nuts, although I don't remember too much of the travel. The power outage doesn't really ring a bell.

You definitely perfected the art of the backseat "visits!" Not sure if Dan or Katie finished on top of that leaderboard.

Dave Haller said...

And who's responsible for the pretzel art?

Barb said...

That was Katie's creation, though admittedly, she was 16 at the time: spring break trip to NYC and Wash, DC.

Jenny Haller said...

Fun memories! (re: pretzel art...A spring break trip to come see your future daughter-in-law, Jenny who was living in DC at the time) :)

Katie said...

The pretzels were actually Dan's creation! He just used my pillow.

Barb said...

OK, so it took until my middle son was 21 years old before he could amuse himself on a trip! haha.

Jenny Haller said...

You all have better memories than I...I barely remember any of the things mentioned in the post! I definitely remember the trip West, and how we alternated getting an entire row of the big 15-passenger van to ourselves...and seeing dad hit 100mph for the first time in Montana! (and the dreadful night on mom and dad's anniversary when David poisoned my nostrils with that "fart bottle" filth. Uggh, I still have nightmares about that.

-Dan

Anonymous said...

Barb, my parents were equally crazy! We had a dark green station wagaon (without air conditioning) that they drove from NJ to CA and back again when my siblings and I were 3, 6, 8, and 10. My favorite memories of that trip are getting stuck in a sand storm in the middle of the desert, trying not to let the sand into the seaming hot car; my mom waking us up in Kansas singing some song from "The Wizard of Oz;" and standing in 4 states at the same time. Hoping to make some great road trip memories with my 2!
~Nicole