Wednesday, April 21, 2010

my gray is here to stay

I'm going gray. I mean I've gone gray. Way gray. But when I look around, I see a lot of beautiful dye jobs on women my age, and a lot of gray roots, too.

"I'm gonna wash that gray right outta my hair." This peppy little jingle from 1985 seemed to turn 'gray' into a four-letter word. Clairol told us that gray was terribly, obviously undesirable. See a few strands? Wash them out!

In the last forty years, it seems to me, our culture became one of youth-is-best, advertisers instructing us to reverse the natural progression of aging. I remember an advertising class in college, impressed by "bandwagon" advertising in which the advertiser convinces consumers that "everyone's doing it, so you should, too."

I was amused at an article in the paper the other day: "Wash away touch of gray? No way!" Apparently the young and chic are showing off "gray lights" and "skunk streaks" as the hippest of fashion statements and breaking a fashion taboo. The likes of Kate Moss, Daphne Guinness (an apparent trend-setter), Pink, and American Idol's Siobhan Mangus have all caused a sensation by going gray.

Well, maybe I'm chic after all. Whew, what a relief!




I think what really drives my gray-all-the-way attitude is laziness. Had I begun covering the gray when the first ones appeared 20 years ago, well, the investment of time and money would be staggering. And had I decided mid-stream to cease with the dye, I can only imagine the weird patchwork of colors as it all grew out. The notion of regular dye jobs seems so ... tiresome.

Ok, I'm a rebel. And gray. My gray is here to stay.

Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life.
Proverbs 16:31

4 comments:

Karen Dawkins said...

Go, Granny, Go!!! tee hee

I've always wondered why it's okay for guys to go gray and not women.

Though, my mom is still gray-less at 66. I'm kinda hoping to follow her naturally blessed coif! Just confessing!

:)

Anonymous said...

BEE YOU tea full !!

from another "chic gray" friend
Whoo Hoo

Now can you find something encouraging about varicose veins? and saggy biceps?

Barb said...

Um, no.

The Hallers said...

Barb, I LOVE this post. I often wonder what my hair is going to look like when I'm older. I've stayed natural so far and plan to in the years to come. I'm hoping for red and white instead of red and gray...lol!