Thursday, April 15, 2010

happy birthday, little bro'


For the procrastinators, April 15 looms large: tax day! And 98 years ago today, the world's newest ocean liner met its final, frigid fate in the north Atlantic, taking more than 1500 lives with her.

But it's also my younger brother's birthday. Mark is turning 53 today.

While I was only two and don't remember his arrival, our mom told the story that when she brought my pacifier-sucking newborn brother into the house, I immediately threw my pacifier in the trash. I love that story. Even though Mark's now a husband and father, I still think of him as my little brother.

Mark was - and is - as compliant and agreeable as I was bossy. An early memory involves stuffed animals and a hall closet. I dragged Mark through endless games, shoving the poor kid in the closet and ordering him to stand guard over our stuffed animals. He cheerfully complied, never questioning my authority.

One day at lunchtime mom perched us on tall stools to eat our lunch. Mark lost his balance and crashed to the floor, the leg of the stool puncturing his chin. My job was to hold a cloth diaper to his bleeding chin on the ride to the hospital. A little queasy, I put up a brave front as the dutiful big sister. It might have been the only time I was his servant rather than the reverse.

Because of his innate goodness, Mark overlooks the failures of others, including his bossy big sister. He has endured heartache in his life but manages to navigate the rough waters, patiently looking for the sun and smoother sailing.

Sunny skies and a happy birthday, Mark!

2 comments:

-d said...

Your childhood stories make me long to have experienced them with you. What a blessed brother you have; you helped mold him into the amazing man you see in him today.

Karen Dawkins said...

Did you send him some of your homemade granola? :) Happy birthday, Mark.