Saturday, June 6, 2009

Back to the future

What woman ever feels ready for motherhood, or grandmotherhood, for that matter? The passing from one season of life to the next has a way of sneaking up on us, like the first September frost that withers the geraniums when we weren't paying attention.

Ready or not, changes come and we rise to celebrate what they represent. Our son Dan and daughter-in-love Jenny called to ask what Bill might want for his birthday in January. Huh? Um, hadn't really thought about it yet. "How about a grandchild?" they said in their sweet, nervous, 20-something voices.

And so a new season and new generation begins for our family. They're excited and I am, too, yes. But I'm a little bewildered. Old enough to be a grandmother? Where did the years go?

My own mother didn't live long enough to realize her dream of grandchildren. I remember clearly her telling me how she looked forward to that time of her life: enjoying grandchildren. Since that never happened, my life now feels a little like "Back to the Future," where I am going back in time to observe something that lies in my future. Does this make any sense?

A grandchild. Oh, my. Whatever the future, I'm along for the ride!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Congratulations to all! :)

-d

Lisa said...

Congratulations to all the Hallers....what a blessing a little grandchild will be....

Jenny Haller said...

Yeah! I cant wait to watch you and Bill be grandparents. You'll be GREAT!

Anonymous said...

oh hallelujah!!! what a treasured time
the covenant family continues!
praise God
and yeah for you two !!!
and special prayers to Dan and Jenny
and the future aunts and uncles !!