Thursday, June 25, 2009

good bye to bad buys

Done. I'm done, done, done with [unnamed popular department stores] for my wardrobe purchases. Probably. Maybe. Here's why:

1. Most of my exhausting shopping trips are completely fruitless.
2. I find most clothing in [unnamed popular department stores] to be designed for those under age 20 or over age 70. I am neither.
3. As a rule, the sales people either do not exist or have better things to do than serve customers.
4. The purchases I have made tend not to satisfy over the long haul.

In a word: bad buys!

There exists a retailer where the sales women know the meaning of the word SERVICE. They've dusted off an old concept and SERVE the customer: running back and forth to the fitting rooms, giving advice on fit and style and - get this - even looking for shoes that might match your outfit.

The store is TALBOTS and I tootled in yesterday. The Talbots saleswomen know how to do things the old-fashioned way. Yes, old-fashioned: it's sometimes the right way. A young woman named Sylvia gave me style advice, fit advice and shoe advice. Not pushy. Just helpful.

Ok, everything's pricier. And nicier, too. Is that a word? I won't say I deserve better clothing. I don't. But I'm past having baby spit-drool down my shirt so why not invest in better quality? Once the grandchild arrives, I'll wear an apron.

So here's a Talbots report card.
Quality: very good.
Price: higher than what I'm used to. Hit their sales.
Service: excellent. The saleswomen took care of me and it's refreshing and ... nice. (Mr. Stanko hated that word: sorry, John.)

I detest shopping, really. But visiting Talbots sure lessens the sting.

Men: if this post bores you, I hope you can apply it to your situation. Or if you're satisfied with your shopping experiences, don't fix what ain't broken.

No comments: