Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day



Seventeen years have passed since I snapped this photo. My gap-toothed 7-year-old boy will soon become a father himself.

I am faithful that Dan, and surely my other sons, will grow into a most amazing father.

It won't happen the night he brings the babe home from the hospital. It will happen as he comforts his feverish child through the night. As he encourages his child's first steps and to eat broccoli. When the child falls off a bike and strikes out swinging. It'll happen when they play "rough boys." It will happen as Dan's child sees in his/her father the attributes of the heavenly father: compassion, strength, a shield and defender of the family. In short, it will happen imperceptibly, moment by moment through all the days of the child's life.

How do I know? I am married to a man who did all this - and more - for our children. Does he falter? Sure. But the very best father doesn't have to be perfect. He admits his faults and points his children to God as the ultimate, perfect Father. The One to emulate. Bottom line, a child needs to see God in - and beyond - his earthly father. For one day, the child will answer to someone other than dad.

Were more fathers to embrace this simple truth, I'm pretty sure we'd see a lot of changes in our world.

4 comments:

Jenny Haller said...

Amen! You and Bill brought some wonderful men into this world and they will be great dads! Thanks for the kind words. I cant wait to be the mom!

Jenny Haller said...

Thanks for your kind words, mom. I love that picture...great family memories with Dad. I am so excited to be a dad to a son or daughter, and you and dad have been great examples of Godly parents. It will be a crazy adventure, but one worth taking!

-Dan

David said...

Well said! We are all so lucky!

Barb said...

IMO, luck has nothing to do with it.