Monday, January 31, 2011

a long, long time ago

A simple post on my daughter-in-love's facebook wall sent me flying to the basement, digging for a photo.

Jenny wondered if she should buy maternity overalls, aka Heidi Klum. Of course they were slim-legged and the model wore 4-inch heels.  She looked carefree and certainly didn't have two toddlers yanking on her legs.

I could picture the picture: pregnant with our third son, a smiling me basting a Christmas turkey in our old house in Defiance, Ohio. It took some digging because the photo wasn't in an album but buried in a box.

In 1987 I made two pair of corduroy maternity overalls that were so comfortable I might have chosen to stay pregnant just to legitimately wear them. Just kidding. When I found the snapshot, a flood of memories came back: the kitchen in that house I absolutely loved, the boys' art easel sitting in the middle of the kitchen, the old wall oven, and a much younger me only about six weeks from delivering our son. I think that shirt is my husband's. Hey, I'd lost most of my pride by the third pregnancy!

Can't imagine being pregnant now ... but it's fun, now as a grandma, to remember those sweet, exhausting days.

4 comments:

Dave Haller said...

Hey hey good lookin'! Pretty entertaining. It's kind of weird for me to look in the background of that photo at the rest of the kitchen...helps me piece it back together in my mind. My memories of it are so vague. Is that oven raised up high?

Barb said...

Built into the wall, I believe. We painted those cabinets and changed the wallpaper ... to the ever-popular country style of the late 80's.

Karen Dawkins said...

True confession! I had a pair of maternity overalls that I loved to wear. They were so comfortable. In some weird way, they made me feel really cute. (I envy the cuteness of today's maternity clothes though). I still have them tucked away in a closet. Maybe they'll be back in fashion when my kids' wives are pregnant!

Barb said...

haha - I don't know what happened to mine - maybe gave them away. I agree: cute!