Tuesday, January 25, 2011

homecoming

For nearly ten years, we've sent kids off to college. Contrary to the empty nest, I call these the yo-yo years: send kids off, and reliably they come flying back. In and out, back and forth. Until - blessed day - they graduate, have JOBS and are independent.

The yo-yo years are bittersweet. I cried at first, then got all excited when they came home for breaks. But - rude awakening and is it just me? - kids coming home from college isn't the same as arriving home from soccer practice.

It's more like ... a houseguest arriving.

I catch myself ...
- cleaning out the freezer
- organizing the fridge
- sorting through mail and newspapers
- planning meals s/he'd like
- changing beds and running the vacuum
- clearing out snacks or fridge items that might have been here when they were last home ... because I've been chastised for "still having THAT?"

When did I put priority on what my kids thought of my housekeeping? Do I care if they care about pawprints on the storm door, dog hair on the stairs, or that the toilet in their bathroom hasn't been cleaned?

When did I go from making my way through kids and clutter underfoot to treating the same kids like guests at my bed and breakfast?

Can someone explain? I tell you, it's odd psychology.

But my daughter arrives home tomorrow, and I've no one to blame but myself. I've already asked her what she'd like for dinner.

2 comments:

Dave Haller said...

Hahaha...very entertaining post!

Lori said...

So true. When you figure it out, let me in on the secret.