Tuesday, February 14, 2012

our Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day. We do it our way, hubby and me. A late lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant. A visit with his mom. Stayed home and made baked salmon and wild rice for dinner. Lingered over the candlelight and talked about our dreams and plans. It's not flowers and chocolates for us, but we like it.
And love each other. The Author of love is eloquent on how love should play out.

Love is patient,
[my teenager needs to share a heartache late into the night, past my bedtime]

love is kind.
[someone knocks at my door, uninvited]

It does not envy,
[wouldn't a new house be nice?]

it does not boast,
[I might have some successes in life, but still have much to learn]

it is not proud.
[why do I find it so hard to admit my failings to others?]

It is not rude,
[have I really listened with quiet respect to my husband today?]

it is not self-seeking,
[I'd love that last piece of cheesecake, but so would my husband]

it is not easily angered,
[does it really matter if he wants to organize the fridge - again?]

it keeps no record of wrongs.
[am I pointing out my child's mistakes once again?]

Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
[I always told my kids that they can expect the truth from me, and I expect the same from them.
Real relationship is built on truth.] 

It always protects,
always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
[I know God expects from me what He's given me: love, hope, faith.
When life is gritty and mundane and just no fun,
I will stand up straight and just do the next thing.]
Love never fails.
[Of this I can be sure: God is love and I can trust Him ...
not to give me what I want, but to give me what I need.]

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

And love came in a little five and a half pound bundle
last week. Welcome, Lily Jane. I love you!

No comments: