Friday, February 10, 2012

dear Lily


Baba and Lily: 36 hours old
 Dearest Lily Jane,

Aunt Katie and I spent this cold and snowy afternoon with you. I'm sure you're the smallest baby I've ever held. Katie said "she feels like a water baby." (One of Katie's first baby dolls.) Katie and I took turns holding you while your exhausted mom and dad got some sleep.

Your wispy dark hair swirls over her head, very much like my babies' did.

I think your nose looks like your mom's.

Your dainty fingers covered maybe a third of my index finger.

Your little body, under six pounds, is a complete being. A life from God. Incomprehensible, really.

It was lovely to sit with my daughter and newest granddaughter on this day after your birth, marveling at your breathless little face with its perfect features. You may be tiny, my Lily, but I love you in a very big way. Welcome to our family. Welcome to life!

Love you forever,
your Baba

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
Psalm 139:13

1 comment:

-d said...

True love. So happy for your beautifully growing family.