Monday, February 6, 2012

my brain is mush

Awaiting a grandchild, right here in town, seems much different from those
out of town babies. I am on pins and needles. My day goes something like this:

Get up.
Check to make sure no messages are on my phone. 
Go to work for the morning.
Keep phone in my pocket and every time it vibrates I grab it quick.
Head out to the Y. Or on errands.
Phone does not go into the pool, but as soon as I get back to my locker,
I'm fishing for my phone.
And on it goes through the afternoon and evening, waiting and wondering.
And thinking I should defrost some meat sauce and make up a lasagna.
Just in case tomorrow is THE DAY.
But what if it isn't?
I would've wasted an easy meal on a day I didn't NEED an easy meal.
I get ready for bed. Put the phone beside the bed. On ring or vibrate, which is it?
Just as I'm dozing off, son David sends me a silly text at 11:30 p.m. and I jump,
sure it's THE call. We could have a baby in 24 hours!
Not that a baby is literally on the way with the first call.
But then, she could be! Oh, probably not.
My brain is mush!
Baby girl due on Wednesday. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

Jenny Haller said...

You think your brain is mush. Try being the uncomfortable and anxious one waiting! Its WAAAY worse :)

Karen Dawkins said...

Oh my! Get some sleep now. That new mama is going to need you without cobwebs in your head once she arrives!!! Really.... If you don't sleep, you might accidentally put maple syrup in that lasagna.

Love you! Praying for Jill, Mark and baby girl. :)

Dave Haller said...

Hahaha...funny post. Agree with Karen, try and get some sleep!

Barb said...

Jenny's right ... it's such an anxious time for the mama (and papa). They're doing great, though!