Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Pearl Harbor



More than 2,000 Americans perished seventy years ago today when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. I remember it being a Sunday from the stories my mother told me. She was 16 years old, and the news came over the radio as Americans returned home from church and ate lunch. Television news was a decade or more in the future.

Growing up, I was curious about my mother's younger years. I cherish those conversations because Mom's been gone for many years. That December Sunday was horrific for the entire country and of course the world. Because of the events in Europe, most Americans knew that the bombing of Pearl Harbor signaled the beginning of full U.S. involvement in World War II.

Pear Harbor changed the lives of most of Mom's classmates, then juniors in high school. With few exceptions, the boys would become young soldiers upon graduation. They would be flung east and west: to the south Pacific or stationed in Europe, and many would die.

Viewing this time through the lens of the controversial Vietnam era, I couldn't comprehend how thousands of teenaged boys would risk their lives in war.

"It was a different time, with so much at stake. Nearly everyone understood that our country's survival hung in the balance. Young men - and women - saw it as their duty to serve their country," Mom said. "They just went."

2 comments:

Karen Dawkins said...

It seems 9/11 is our generation's Pearl Harbor. I am thankful for the generations before who sacrificed for freedom. Today, I am thankful for the generation who sacrifices today. In spite of the "stigma" on military service brought on by Vietnam.

Beautiful post. We need to be thankful for our heroes and their families.

kathleen said...

I saw in the paper that the Delaware County Veterans' Group actually had a wreath ceremony to commemorate Pearl Harbor on the bridge over the river in downtown Delaware. I wanted to take the girls, trying to teach them history and a healthy respect for service to our country, but the weather was horrible that day.
You would have enjoyed that ceremony, Barb. Next year I will let you know if they veterans hold it again.