Wednesday, September 14, 2011

there and back

Still alive! We slipped up to the cabin in northern Michigan for a few days ... where there is no internet in any practical sense of the word.

The weather, which plays a huge part in our time there, was SPECTACULAR. Highs in the 70's and lots of sun. Then on Monday evening the wind kicked up. And blow it did all night long. No wimpy winds up around the Great Lakes. Powerful, make-me-feel-small winds. I think I might love wind as much as I love water. It makes me feel alive!


Anyway, though I had my camera, I took very few photos. Bill and I made two bike rides to the harbor/lighthouses (10 miles round trip) and busied ourselves with the usual chores and required autumn cleaning-up. It's still summery-looking in northern Michigan, but if you look closely, you'll see small tinges of autumn.


We also made time to read and chat with our neighbor guys, who by the way, love to fish on Grand Lake until - I don't think I exaggerate - ice begins to form on the lake. (And after that, they ice fish in the dead of winter.) Jody and Alan brought us a bag of beautiful, ready-to-cook walleye.  Awesome eating!


At this time of year, Grand Lake seems to be a best-kept secret. Most of the wave-runners and skiers have been replaced by slow kayakers like me, ducks, and even a great blue heron we spotted one morning as we poured our coffee.

It's also good to be home, near family, friends, neighbors. In these I am content.

1 comment:

Olivia Jane Hurley said...

I literally just got teary looking at these pictures and reading this... (long sigh) thank you for sharing!