Thursday, September 8, 2011

thankfulness

Wow, I am a grump sometimes. Why do I let the negatives in life take root in my heart and produce a complaining spirit? I really have nothing to complain about, yet complain I do. About my house. (Imagine, today I said, "this house smells like dog." Well, DUH, a DOG lives here, so it's my job to do something about the smell!) About some repairs we need to get done, but haven't. And worst of all, to focus on the shortcomings of others, including my husband, rather than offering praise and encouragement.

In first Thessalonians, Paul instructs the brothers to
"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

It's a simple yet powerful command and is not contingent on good feelings, a fat bank account, a clean house, or flawless relationships. Paul praised God from a dark prison cell.

I think I'll write these verses on a bookmark to use in the book I'm reading. I would do well to be continually reminded to continually give thanks, in all circumstances!

2 comments:

Karen Dawkins said...

I'm definitely learning that lesson too!
Thankful that our house didn't burn down earlier this week when the lightning struck -- see, I'm getting bigger at being thankful in the big things.

Not always so thankful in the little things -- the everyday things I take for granted. Great reminder!!!

anne said...

Amen sister! It does me good to hear you confess to the same sins I have! Your words are a blessing :)