Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Where are you, Kumiko?


She joined our family for just a few days in 2002. Kumiko was part of a group of Japanese teenaged students who came to town on an annual cultural exchange.

Kumiko wanted to shop; we took her to the mall where she insisted on visiting Hot Topic. We made pizza, and she put on a Japanese tea ceremony in our kitchen. Kumiko stole our hearts in a few short days with her dimpled smile, sweet spirit, and friendly countenance. I was so drawn to this young girl that I cried when she left.

We lost touch with Kumiko, something I regret terribly, especially now. But I hope to contact her.

Kumiko lived in Sakata City, on the west coast of Japan, almost directly west of Sendai, epicenter of last week's devastating earthquake and tsunami.

It might be all I can do, but it's also the best I can do ... trusting God has spared Kumiko and her family from the devastation in Japan.

No comments: