Friday, November 5, 2010

Jerry Jenkins and college student for a day

Made a little road trip to Indiana yesterday. Destination: Taylor University to hear Jerry Jenkins, co-author of the Left Behind series speak on writing. By the way, he's written around 175 books. That's what I call a prolific writer.

First stop: grabbing my sweet daughter Katie and heading to the "D.C." (dining commons) for lunch, since one o'clock was fast-approaching: her class time and my time with Jerry. I mean Mr. Jenkins.

It's a funny paradox whenever I visit the college eating venue. On one hand, I feel very comfortable navigating about, thinking back to my own college days. Hot food line, salad bar, desserts, beverages. I also want to tell the kids: enjoy this, dear: soon enough you'll be doing the cooking!

But then, the crowds and fast-moving young adults cause me some disorientation until I feel a bit overwhelmed. Thankfully, Katie saves me. I hear, "Mom, over here." And I follow her voice to get my tea. "Mom, this way." And we find a table. I feel a little like her little girl, following mommy's voice. She smiles, reading my mind. 

Jerry Jenkins was marvelous. Witty, engaging, humble. And author of books that have sold 70 million copies. 70 million! He critiqued samples of students' work and shared his writing life. All so fascinating for a writer.

At 3 o'clock I scooted to the art building for Katie's "Experimental Photography" class. The project of the day was making prints from old slides. Katie had asked me to bring some from my college days, so that was pretty cool. Katie printed one of the main street of my college town, 70's cars and all. She liked that. The kids welcomed me, but  I was humbled to realize they were printing slides I had shot and developed in college 35 years ago. My life is passing so very quickly.

We shared dinner at Paynes, a local eclectic cafe. Katie ordered a monstrous veggie burger! The best part was our time together. I love my daughter and love to see the ways she is maturing into womanhood.



After dinner we caught another hour with Jerry Mr. Jenkins, including a book signing. I didn't know whether to address him as Jerry or Mr. Jenkins and frankly, I forgot his name when I stepped to the table. So I just thanked him for his afternoon seminar. How profound.


I love going to college for a day, but it's good to come home to my own bed.

No comments: