Saturday, November 20, 2010

goodbye blue ... and Uncle Hugh

So I told myself, "That blue won't do." My lovely and skilled daughter Katie painted the breakfast room over a year ago. My thinking was, blue would look cool and cheery with our green kitchen. But it never set right with me. I like to think I inherited my dad's great eye for color. Trouble is, I know what I like once it's done, but I lack in choosing the right color at the start.

Blue's a hard color to get right if you ask me. I once painted the living room a light blue and son Mark, at the gloomy age of 14, commented, "what, are we having another baby?"

I first chose "Heavy Cream." Don't you just love paint color names? Heavy cream was too yellow. Back to the paint store for "Wheat Sheaf." Maybe a smidge light, but Wheat Sheaf it is and shall be.

Veterans Day inspired me to pull out the fantastic photo of my great-uncle Hugh Lanier in his WW I uniform. He stood straight and handsome, hat tucked under his arm. Pasted inside a cardboard cover embellished with stars and stripes, this photo may have been the only copy in existence.

On one of my trips to the paint store, dog Ellie got bored. Or she might be annoyed that I put her favorite couch in the basement. I thought she'd grown out of her appetite for photographs, but apparently not. I found the cardboard torn into many small pieces on the floor of my study. Oddly, I saw no pieces of Uncle Hugh anywhere. Nor upon examination of "piles" in the yard. So perhaps Uncle Hugh will reappear, but my hope is slim.

Those are the highlights of my week. How about you?

2 comments:

LPool said...

Highlights of my week are my list making ability because I host the "stray's" Thanksgiving here. 3 trips to the Vet..twice with the same dog and then one trip to the "special" Vet (doggie eye Dr.). And a shopping trip to get birthday present....some new decorations for Thanksgiving Table and milk and fruit that I ran out of because for some reason one of the two of us that live in this house that Never drink the milk and only sometimes eats the fruit decided to do just that. Been an interesting week.

Karen Dawkins said...

Oh Barb. How sad to lose Uncle Hugh. It's that name, I tell ya. Ellie is synonymous with trouble. (I love my little trouble to pieces, you know).

Our week begins with a postcall sleepy husband, a hyper puppy, and a sweet girl recovering from strep. She doesn't do sick well.

We're getting ready to paint our family room and kitchen -- BLUE! I'll let you know if I get it right.