Monday, November 15, 2010

Thanksgiving assignment!

It's a glorious day to be assigned only a green bean casserole for Thanksgiving dinner! (Don't laugh; we're Ohioans and I think it's our state casserole.)

I remember marveling at other women my age who went to their mother's or mother-in-law's house for holiday meals year after year. Not sure how - or if - they ever learn to cook a turkey or sweet potato casserole. And no leftovers? How terribly sad because turkey and dressing leftovers are my favorite. I haven't minded cooking solo for these big events most of my married life. After a few years it's just no big deal.

The big, fun deal to me is passing the baton to a daughter or daughter-in-love.
Thanks to two resourceful daughters-in-love, I'm increasingly off the hook. Jill, practically a newlywed, is excitedly planning Thanksgiving for us next week and I am saying hallelujah! Two years ago, newlywed Jenny did the same. It's fabulous to taste their dishes and see them create their own holiday traditions.

Though I might miss the turkey and dressing leftovers, just a little.



Thanksgiving 2009 at our house: Jill, Katie and Rachelle.
(Katie's college friend who lives in California!)

3 comments:

Katie said...

Yum, my favorite!!

I wish we could fast forward time to Wednesday...

Barb said...

Hang in there, girl. Can't wait to see you!

Karen Dawkins said...

Where is the feast this year?